Monday, November 9, 2009

How Much is Too Much

Hi,

In order to add some abuse and lively debate . . . . . . I hope.

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH ?

This is the original, I like Nell's expression, the out of focus background and composition except for the ballance of the shot.

It can be comon practice to crop a shot heavy, up to 50%, to frame it. It is also comon practice to extend seamless white and balck portrait shots al la Zak Aries, (as I did in "light").

So is this to much ? (Double click for large size image)

It's not a crop, it's not white seamless I've just done a "bit" of photo shop and replicated the backgroud. As the background is so out of focus it's really just an amorfus background so I think its fair.
It also means that you don't loose the resolution like you do in a heavy crop. (Original 2.2 MB JPEG, Edited 7.1MB JPEG and 109 MB Photoshop PSD.)

Let fire with comments, abuse and any questions.

(p.s. It didn't take long, only about 20 minutes to do all the PP.)

Cheers,
Richard B.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really nice use of the technique, and certianly turns an OK shot into a wow shot. Bravo Mr B.

    (not going to make any comments about why you are posting shots of your daughter during 'animals' month ;0))

    And quite nice to see you are thinking about composition and aspect ratios outside the standard, good to know the old shutter bugs feedback is adding to your repotoir ;0)

    Presonally I would have cropped the right hand side of the shot off to put Nel dead on the third line. I would also have cloaned out the second set of wading birds in the shoreline as these make it obvious that it is a copy and paste job.

    But otherwise a nice bit of work young sir. Get it printed on laminated board and put it above the bath. It'll look cool.

    So, how much is too much, I;d so how ever much works for the shot, and definitly prefer to see people pushing beyond the usual aspect ratios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. Thinking about it again, I would cloan out the ORIGINAL wading birds and keep the copied ones as they balance the shot nicely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking to get the thirds but I ended up pushing it if I went any more but I didn't like cropping right side. However your spot on if I crop the right and loose the birds there it will balance nicely.

    p.s. They are the same birds but the wings aren't the same.

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete