Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Animal Crackers - Paul's back catalogue

I promise I’ll try to go and take some new photographs of ‘Animals’. Meanwhile, here are a few from my back catalogue. Apart from cropping and resizing, these are all straight out of the camera.

The Water Horse

Nikon D70s
Nikkor 28-200 @ 80mm F/5
1/50 sec
My previous blog submission made mention that it rained almost continuously in Istanbul over Eid, November 2005. Here is further proof. I’m sure that the novelty of riding in a horse-drawn vehicle rapidly wore off. The blurred spokes and legs were all done in camera; no ‘rotation blur’ tweaking in this picture. Unfortunately the background is rather cluttered and distracting, but the reflection in the wet road is nice.


Gulliver's Travels

Nikon D70s
Nikkor 28-200 @ 98mm F/8
1/350 sec
The gulls are at least co-operative as they wheel around the ferries plying up and down the Bosphorus. I took lots of photos, and picked this one because the bird’s eye is in focus and there’s no distracting background.


Wadi Bih Goat

Nikon D70s
Nikkor 28-200 @ 45mm F/11
1/320 sec
This particular blast from the past was taken at the Dibba end of Wadi Bih back in 2005 when it was still permitted to drive all the way to Ras Al Khaimah. I think my subject looks like a philosophy student, with the merest hint of a beard on its chinny-chin-chin. The goat hair is rendered better in the full-size version.


Funky Gibbon

Sony DSC-T1
7mm F/3.5
1/30 sec
Back in March 2007, taken in Phuket, Thailand. I really like the way the gibbon’s eyes are lit up with reflection highlights, and I’m also pleased with how the fur came out, particularly considering the camera that I used.

2 comments:

  1. Like the Gibbon, the apsect ratio really works with the face shape. The expression is great asa well.
    The specular highlight in the are really nice, get your self a flash and cable, off camera lighting is the way to go.

    What a supprise there is a goat in the collection !

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Against the normal rules of the forum to post old shots but I am bored and therefore will relent on this occation.

    I love the composition of the Goat shot, it is almost as if you were taking a shot of somethign else and he jsut stuck his head in shot as if to say "Ooo hello, what you looking at, is it anything I can eat or stand on" Goats are cool. Also nicely lit with the natural light but not blown out or too much shadow, and the yellow eye on teh dark fur is cool.

    The Gibon shot, if that is what it is, is a again a nive composition and love the way his expression is very contemplative. However the colouring in the shot looks a bit off or lacks the punch of the goat shot. Down know if its because the light was wrong or maybe needs PS tweak but looks a bit like Kodacolour film shots.

    Horse and Cart is nice, but the people and the sign in the background are quite distracting. Also the rain just makes me feel jealous therefore I feel the need to hate this shot ;0)

    ReplyDelete