Saturday, September 19, 2009

Nick's pics

I've took a slightly approach to this exercise. First, I thought I'd shoot at 3:00. In the morning. Long shutter speeds down by the Creek, that sort of thing.

But 3:00 in the morning?? I thought I'd scout out the location at 3:00 in the afternoon first, hitting the Creek and Bastakiya. Had some pretty serious fogging problems, but once it cleared I discovered that a few specs of crap on the lens had cleared as well.

Friday 3:00pm
1/25s, f22, ISO-100, 24mm

But then, being down at Bastakiya actively shooting bred more inspiration, and I was seeing 3 everywhere. As follows:

3 distances
1/125, f9, ISO-100, 24mm

3 spout things
1/2000s, f2.8, ISO-100, 70mm

3 negatives
1/200, f9, ISO-100, 24mm
I was thinking about darkening up the darks in GIMP (I'm too cheap for Photoshop). And I don't really know what I'm doing when post processing so prefer to strive for the right look at the camera, rather than at the desk.

3 shadows
1/20s, f14, ISO-100, 70mm
I'm not entirely convinced by this one, but Sarah talked it up so here it is. It's been rotated through 90°, but that's hardly post processing. And I should have cropped the top a tiny bit, but couldn't be arsed.

3 things things sticking out of a building
1/20s, f14, ISO-100, 70mm

Here's one more. It's off topic but I thought I'd share anyway.

Woodpile
1/320s, f9, ISO-100, 50mm

4 comments:

  1. Now I now it's a unwritten rule of this blog that we are not allowed to say things like "nice shot" but I have to come straight out and say it....I LOVE the Woodpile. Its brilliant. I find it very engaging. Love the texture in te wall, the shadow/detail in the wood and the fantastic simplicity of the image.

    If I shot this I would have shot it in a 3-1 aspect (3 wide to 1 high) with the woodpile on the left hot spot.

    Three thingies sticking out of a building and 3 shadows are also very nice as abstract images, and would have got my vote were it not for the woodpile.

    Suffice to say the woodpile did it for me. Well done Mr Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks maaaate. You're quick with the comments, I must say.

    Actually, the original framing had the pile in the bottom 1/3 of a vertical shot. But the wall topped out in that third, and there's a tree and another building in shot. In fact, looking at it now, the wood is half the height of the wall, end of story. So no dice there. Perhaps I'll go back and go for the horizontal shot. If it's still there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 'thingies' are called gargoyles. Although not as ornate as the 'vomiting demon' style that may be found populating gothic and neogothic architecture, they serve precisely the same purpose.

    If anyone has a picture of a vomiting demon, please post it on this blog. If the pic is of three of them, post it during September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3PM
    Nice composition, I like it but somewhat spoilt by the watch I'm afraid.
    A bit over exposed in places, but you are always going to struggle there balancing the extreme light and shade.

    3 Distances, 3 Spouts, 3 Shadows, 3 Sticking out things.
    H'mm don’t pop for me sorry.

    3 Negatives.
    Like the way the light has come through the railings, also no blown out highlights.

    Wood pile.
    I'm with Steven I like this one, the mix of pattern from the stack as well as the collapsed bits works well. A tighter shot and some other angles would also have been nice.

    ReplyDelete