Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Random one for Critique - Burj Khalifa

Trying to make up from my poor effort this month here is one from the Burj K that I finaly manage to stitch together and do the PP on.

. (Double click for large image)

EXIF
Canon 350D
Sigma 10-20mm lens, at 10mm
f11
1/13 sec with +/- 2 stops ev brackets for each.
ISO 100
2 images accross bottom then 2 up for the Burj K

Stitching and HDR blend done in PTGui pro and then rest in Photoshop.
The top left and right corners (black sky) which couldn't stitch are a photoshop painted in. Then just a small straighten, couple of little tweaks and sharpen in PS.

There was a lot of humidity and sand in the air and will blame some of the poor optical quality on that (when zoomed right in).

Critique, Comments and Questions welcome as always.

Cheers,
Richard B.




2 comments:

  1. Good effort, and clearly a fair amount of work has gone into creating the image.

    I think the tower looks too short and squat. When trueing up verticals, it's important to stretch the image vertically afterwards in order to restore the height of the subject. So says my Photoshop Elephants book, anyway.

    I also realise the flare around the Burj is likely to be floodlight scatter into the humidity. It actually reminds me of the haloes that you get when doing HDR badly. Try to get the same shot in the winter when there's no humidity and recent rain has cleared the dust.

    Personally I'd have used a longer shutter speed to blur the reflections in the pond, or else a short one to freeze the water. You seem to have picked the middle ground that does neither.

    But I'm really being picky. None of those "Your camera was the wrong way round" or "Use a tripod; don't hand-hold for two seconds" comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks some very good C&C.

    There is no tweaking of the vertcals, it's all automatic from PTGui, but I know what you mean.
    I really like the idea and next time I'll give it a stretch up as well.

    Flood lights loom is genuine, although there is some HDR so that you get the lights in the rooms in side the BurjK but it is very dialed down. Will be going back for sure once the winter and clouds are here.

    Shutter speeds, I did try for longer but then got a problem in the brighter bracket being over max shutter speed of 30s and I then couldn’t auto bracket (and would have had to use a stop watch). As I was with the familey I didn’t have that much time to play.
    Not sure I could have gone for a really fast one to freeze, I struggle with noise above ISO 400 :-(

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete