Friday, July 30, 2010

Hippie Food

Another frantic month with little time to grab the camera, but some weird inspiration in the kitchen. Here's my literal take on the subject.

Tofu Kitchen
20mm, f2.8, 1/50, ISO-400
In camera B+W because I'm still to lazy... busy to Gimp around with it

Around the same time, I was staring aimlessly into a pile of beans and thought, "where do hippies get their protein from if they won't eat meat?"

Peace love and mung beans
20mm, f2.8, 1/25, ISO-400

The idea with this one was that I was oddly taken by the light, (which was just provided by the ceiling downlight), which seemed to make everything look really clean. Well, I couldn't really explain it then either, so I photographed it, hoping to capture it, and came up with a shot that probably belong on a tin of (hippie) beans. Maybe it could be cropped differently, (to make it more abstract, say?), or maybe it's just another poor showing from me this month.

Next up, I'm posting for Sarah.


3 comments:

  1. Tofu Kitchen
    I rather like that. A similar thought occurred to me, but I'd not considered some shiny saucepans in the background. Well done.

    There ought to be a bit more DOF on the main subject. Could you have messed with distance from the subject and focal length to bracket all of the plate of tofu in focus whilst still retaining the saucepans in bokeh?

    Mung beans
    A suggestion for getting the beans more abstract is to shoot them at an angle, and use either real DOF and a wide aperture or else the tilt-shift fake blur to throw the top and bottom of the frame out of focus.

    BTW: Hippies get their protein from tofu, plus whatever might rub off any mauled mammals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Paul, I'll give it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tofu Kitchen
    Like this one, good application for black an white really shows the texture in the tofu.
    The slightly shallow DOF helps highlight the subject, and blur the pots just enough to draw the eye.
    Maybe a slightly higher view point to avoid the very out of focus object in the foreground and give a slight downward angle into the Tofu.


    Peace Love and Mung Beans
    Hmm, as Paul said and acute angle and create some nice bokeh would have helped this a lot.
    But as you said a very sharp plate of beans if you were looking to wrap around to label a tin can.

    ReplyDelete