Friday, October 30, 2009

Sarah and Nick's Building PIcs for the Month Part 1

Ladies first, and since I am the lady, I am pleased to post the following pictures. Nick and I went for a last walk through Bur Dubai before moving and shot some pics for old time's sake. I love the variety of buildings you get around the textile souk. The old building I shot was still in use as the old AC unit was whirring away with a visitor inside who had parked his bike out the front.
I shot the first picture in colour and lost my Gimp virginity by taking the colour away and touching up the contrast of the shadows.

The second photo is the front door. Again, I used Gimp to crop the sides of the picture. Nick thought I should chop more of the top off, but I quite like the patterned shadow the roof is casting.
Now that my home work is submitted and I used Gimp (like Photoshop) to alter my photos I must admit I do feel like I have cheated and consequently feel dirty. So moving on to a debate Nick and I are having at the moment. Who took the photos below, since we were both using the same camera on the same trip seeing the same stuff? But when the topic of buildings came up we both wanted to share the following pictures. Buildings in Amman, Jordan.

And

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Like the first two, nice compositions and show a really gritty feel, photo journalist style.
    The one with the bike is quite a classic photo.

    The conversion to B&W is not bad, not as flat as the in camera ones from P2, however still a bit flat.
    Check out David Nightingale on the subject;
    http://www.chromasia.com/tutorials/online/curves/

    You were right not to crop the roof, really adds texture in my eyes.

    p.s. Don’t feel bad about post processing. There are two sorts of photographers 1-Those who use Photoshop 2-Those who lie about it ;-)

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete