Sunday, October 18, 2009

Paul's 'Buildings'

Although there are plans for a couple of specific shots, I've not been in the right place with a camera yet, so I reserve the right to present additional photos before the end of the month.

Another problem that I'm currently experiencing is Blogger's complete inability to upload photos. The page churns and churns for aeons and then decides that 'the document has no data'. I'm fed up with wasting most of my evening doing this, so please feel free to imagine the images below.

Updated early the following morning. I've uploaded the photos now that I'm not competing with the entire UAE and USA for bandwidth.

All the following were shot from more or less the same viewpoint: the top of a 10-storey office block in Sharjah.


Crystal
Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-200 @ 75mm
F5.6
1/1500

This shows the very posh end of Sharjah's real estate. All mirrored glass, shine and gleam, and with expensively irrigated grass in the foreground. Very much for society's upper echelons.


Worship
Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-200 @ 35mm
F8
1/1000

Framed between the two minarets, the skyline shows many, many high-rise buildings. From a photography point of view, I was, just for once, able to catch a reasonable blue sky without resorting to Photoshop.


Rooftops
Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-200 @ 26mm
F27
1/90

Here we see what we're not supposed to see. The top of a flat roof is a great place to hide stuff from everyone except the occupants of adjacent, higher buildings. Shot straight into the sun, the sky is an unfortunate flat white - sorry about that - and I couldn't include the left corner of the building because of my position on the roof.

This one has been Photoshopped. I used the Transform tool to reduce converging verticals, at a fraction of the cost of a tilt-shift lens (which I don't have anyway).

2 comments:

  1. Paul Complaining here about blogger not working won't do you any good as I am fairly certain google don't ready ANY of the blogs they facilitate so stop yer moaning yer great jessy.

    As for the photos, I know where you took these as I suspect I was up there shortly after you to take my shots, and by 'eck isn't it high and precarious. As such I am going to make no comments along the lines of "woudl have been nicer if you moved a bit to the left".

    Crystal - Interesting subject to choose, I reckon this building has lovely potential for HDR, even if you don't like HDR. Also nice to see you managed to get a crane in the shot as well.

    Worship - Nice idea for a shot and like question mark that could hang over the story this image is telling - are we looking at the UAEs workship as in the Mosque or the worship of retail represented by the Blue Souq in the backgroud. However, I would have preferred this shot to have been less clutter and just show me the bits you want me to piece together in my mind - the towers and the spites? Could be achived by shooting from a window a few floors down thus obscuring the big area of green grass and the monument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Like the framing from the mosque, both blue sky's and green grass work to give the image some nice color.

    The crowded roof top is nice, it looses a bit on the WWW but I'm sure the original is very nice. Lucky it's not crowded with "bed spacers" !

    Like the location, very nice.

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete