Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reflections on Water

Well, here come my offerings for this month. As Richard so astutely pointed out, with clouds hanging low and pendulous with precipitation, there was going to be no shortage of the wet stuff lying around waiting to be photographed. I tried to avoid the obvious 'taxi plunging through puddle', because there's plenty of those circulating on the interwebs.


Gate
Nikon D70s
Sigma 50mm
F/2.8 1/45s

Tried to get some symmetry here, with the gate lights and their reflections in the puddle. The hosepipe also counts as 'water', partly because I liked the splash of contrasting colour and also because I wasn't about to clone it out. That treatment was reserved for the obtrusive red 'No Parking' sign on the wall opposite the gate.


Minaret
Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-200 @ 112mm
F/16 1/60s

Having retrieved my camera from the car, I was heading back into the office with intent to take a particular shot that I had in mind. Whilst that shot never happened, I saw the minaret reflected in a puddle and liked the texture. I simply inverted the image.


Anchored
Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-200 @ 170mm
F/5.6 1/250s

Dubai Boat Show offered plenty of opportunities for 'Water' as the subject matter. I tweaked up the red gelcoat using a mask so that the red would 'pop' without the water developing a reddish colour cast.


Bow
Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-200 @ 29mm
F/4.2 1/20s
Auto ISO

More Boat Show. It got dark, and I knew from experience that tripods on floating boats and pontoons is a recipe for camera shake, even if some oaf doesn't kick it all into the oggin. So I used the trick of setting the film speed (on a DSLR - Hahaha!) to Auto so that I could hand-hold the camera. There's a little bit of cropping and cloning to get rid of distracting bright lights. Look at the symmetry of the boat in the water, and also note the metalwork at the waterline that just hints of Poseidon's trident.


Reflections
Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-200 @ 38mm
F/4.8 1/10s
Auto ISO

Again, hand-held in the dark (don't you just love vibration-reduction lenses?) at the Boat Show. The whole frame is of a sexily lit speedboat, but I thought the coloured reflections were more interesting. The graininess is caused by the high 'film speed' and also the cropping.

I should also note that I wanted to freeze the ripples in the water, so long shutter speeds that would allow blurring were something I actively sought to avoid.

2 comments:

  1. "Pendulous Precipitation" what a great phrase ! However photography forum not literature critique (if it was I'd not be allowed !) So on to C&C and a good batch, well done.

    GATE
    As you've only got the top of the gate in the reflection you've to my eyes you've lost a lot of impact, a much lower to view point and closer to the puddle may have helped.

    MINARET
    Me likey this one.
    I like the texture on the minaret, you can tell what it is but the texture helps it stand out against the sky. The leading lines from the bricks also help give some diagonal to the composition.
    112mm at 1/60sec is doing well for hand holding but there is a bit of softness but it isn't killing the shot.
    P.s. is it "upside down" as well, perspective on the bricks looks odd.

    ANCHORED.
    Classic composition, leading lines, 3rd's on port holes and red band, diagonal from bow, reflections.
    Then you have crowned it all off with a very well with a subtle touch of PP work.
    Might have been nice if you'd been able to go to f2.8 and generate a bit of DOF separation to the brown boat, however 170mm f2.8 is $$$$$$$

    BOW
    Another classic, the vertical symmetry is nice but the horizontal with the lights and trident is a real good.
    Auto ISO is a nice trick, I need to upgrade my body. oh and get a new camera as well !

    Reflections.
    Sorry miss with this one, well below the other shots, sorry.


    Keep up the good work.

    Promise to try and shoot mine tonight.

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the C&C. Glad you like some of them.

    Gate
    I tried and tried to get more of the gate reflected in the puddle, but ran into numerous problems with my door frame, front steps, vanishing puddle and fading daylight. As it was I ended up perched on a tabletop to get the camer positioned! How we suffer for our art!

    Minaret
    Yes, the image is indeed inverted. I agree that the paving blocks look odd. Squint, and try to envisage the paving as a ceiling, and you're looking through a hole to the heavens beyond.

    Anchored
    I think the red and brown provide sufficient separation without the need for mega-pricey lenses! A bit of subtle PS goes a long way.

    Bow
    Glad you like it. We aim to please.

    Reflections
    Sorry, sorry! *sob!*

    ReplyDelete