Sunday, March 7, 2010

Minature / Small World - Richards Effort

Hi All,

Better late than never, so here is my attempt at last months "Miniature / Small world". Following Paul's non photoshop with water I thought I'd be brave and bare all! These are all straight out of camera, not even a watermark !



"Out the toy box"
16mm, 1/13sec, F5.6, Av
Manual Focus (measured)
Tripod (yes inside the box)
Off camera flash top right.



"Abseiling"
16mm, 1/5sec, F5.6, Av
Off camera flash top center, to help texture.



"Run"
50mm, f5.6, 2/5sec, Av
Total -2/3 ev.
Flash low left.



"Back Step"
50mm, f5.6, 2/5sec, Av
Total -1/3 ev.
Tripod
Flash high right -1ev.



"Long grass"
100mm Macro, f2.8, 2.5 sec, Av
Tripod
Flash top right



"Freedom"
50mm, f5.6, 25sec, Av, ISO 200.
(it was dark hence 25s & ISO200).
Tripod
Flash low right.


As always, comments, abuse and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Richard B.

5 comments:

  1. dunno about the camera skils but it made me laugh out loud well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun storyline, with a variety of different lighting to liven it up.

    Concentrating on the photography:-

    Run The yellow loop in the toybox is distracting. I might have preferred to have the whole toybox piled high or something as prominent as the yellow thing not in shot. Even if it is out of focus. Additionally, if the subject's legs had been positioned akimbo to illustrate running, that might have sold the image better.

    Long grass really needs a lower light source to get the subject's face out of shadow. Film Noir does not work when the face has a vacuous grin! Nice use of shallow DOF, which helps to sell the smallness.

    Freedom I think the escapee is too small. Cropping just above the gate hinge would have worked.

    Continuity error: Why is it light outside in the first two, and dark in the exterior shots? I do not believe it took even such a tiny runner several hours to cross the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the C&C, much appreciated.

    RUN.
    I did pile up the toy box, just camera left its over flowing, however brain and view finder not connected and I composed on the rope so missed !
    The legs are joined, don’t you know about duplo men !
    p.s. It's also slightly off square :-(

    LONG GRASS.
    Good point, damm, I missed the opportunity to use two strobes !
    Maybe a small cigar would have helped the Film Noir look.

    FREEDOM.
    Yes, not that happy with this. Also thought of shooting a long shot running down the alley but couldn’t find the gate key !

    CONTINUITY.
    Fair call, but started at 5:30 and finished at 6:30 so it went dark !

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually think the yellow thing in the box balances the picture a little (from an abstract point of view), but for a clearly defined subject, I guess it is a bit distracting.

    I like the concept of the whole story, though, especially the climbing bits, which speak to my soul.

    Finally, I feel you were a bit heavy on the flash for the outdoor shots as it makes it look like a studio shot. Is there a way to use flash to mimic daylight? (It's probably on the DVDs you lent me and I'm planning to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair call, maybe a bit heavy with the flash. I was being quick and dirty (aka Lazy I guess). Single flash, no stands, no umbrela / soft boxes, no fine tune of power levels.

    Could make it a lot more natural but dificult to do when lying on the grass trying to take photos with daughter also trying to play horse with daddy !

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete