Monday, March 8, 2010

Nick's weird take on water

I actually have another idea I want to try out for this month's homework, which I figure is actually the point of the whole exercise. However, I found myself shooting these the other day. The first is my vaguely customary B+W:
"what the hell is this?"
f2.8; 1/100; ISO1600; 24mm

Then I thought it looked better in colour, in a modern art kind of way. And less slimy, too:
"No seriously, what the hell is that?"
f3.2; 1/125; ISO1600; -1 step exposure; 40mm

The reflection of the light is intentionally placed where it is to contrast with the dark colours, but I feel it's a bit too bright. And the dark colours are not as dark on my laptop as on the back of my camera in bad light. I could gimp it, but I can't be bothered. Anyway, for all those who want to say I should lose the spot altogether, I couldn't get rid of it and still have the water showing up so clearly. So to speak :) And for the techies, the spot is a ceiling mounted 50W halogen.

Now, I also have a cool back-catalogue water photo which is on the other computer, so you'll have to wait for that, along with my intended homework exercise, until my next posting.

4 comments:

  1. Very well done to post given the recent arivial.

    Is it water on a bathroom floor / cabinet ?

    Otherwise, intertesting texture to the images, but lack a bit of something maybe more of a specific subject ?
    Could be good to mix as a layer in photoshop over a portrait or something.

    p.s. Think can see your shadow in both of them.

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon it is soapy water in a greasy roastimg tray.......am i right? Am i Am I Am I?

    Only other comment is that I would have positioned the white "blob" on the top left hot spot in order to balance it out and make it look deliberate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right!!! Roasting tray.
    Forgive my ignorance in this forum, but what's a hotspot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HURRAY!! I know's be grungy dirty dishes me!!

    Hot spots are the crossing points between the thirds in the horizontal and verticals. The top left and the bottom right a supposed to be particulalry 'sweet' hot spots I believe. No idea why it works, bit it does. Try recropping the same shot to place the white spot 1/3 down the show and 1/3 the way from the left and it will somehow look oddly satidfying.

    ReplyDelete