Thursday, December 24, 2009

TIME THE SHUTTER IS OPEN - another from Richard

Hi All,

Yet another tenuous link to TIME, this time the shutter is open.
Actually just an excuse to share some shots.

I've been roped into teaching a friend of the wifes about photography and doing a course. As part of this I needed wanted to illustrate the Shutter/Aperture balance.
Hence the below, it is a 5 x 5 grid, from f45 to f2.5 and 1/1000sec to 2.5sec.
I know the composition isn't great but wanted to ilustrate DOF and movement in a controled manner to get 25 identical shots.


(Click to enlarge should work)


Larger Size :
Shallow DOF, Frozen Action (f2.8, 1/1000sec)

Deep DOF, Moving water (f45, 2.5sec)



To shoot.
1- Get Pen and Paper.
2- Frame shot
3- Av mode and work out Min and Max apperures for that lens.
This sets Fastest Shallow and Slowest deep.
4- Pen and Paper, divide apertures and time into 5 equal stops work out the numbers.
5- Go to M and shoot, step by step.


Hope you found interesting / informative.
Any questions, C&C or other abuse feel free.


Cheers,
Richard B.

3 comments:

  1. Nice one Mr B, this is a great teaching tool.....may use it to explain to my mum as well if you don't mind.

    In fact I am not sure what I will shoot, but I might make a set of these myself as it is a cool little composition effect to play with. As you say, shots themselves aren't that exciting but a grid they really work quite well.

    Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steal away ;-)

    Have fun with working it all out. Took me a few tries to get all together.
    The DOF / apperture is the one you need to work from.

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stole the matrix shot for educational purposes. Richard, you are of course duly credited.

    ReplyDelete