Friday, July 17, 2009

Light

Hi All,

Here are my offerings for light.

I was thinking a bit literal with these and yes a few electrons were hurt in photoshop for these.
As for the subject I guess you could say the light bulb of inspiration hit me ;-)

"Reverse Thinking"
This the one image then worked on in Photoshop, priciply the INVERSE command. As this was shot agaisnt a black background it all went to white except for the light of the filament and dirt / highlights on the bulb. I also added in a inverse radial gradient fill and some manual painting to add the vignette.

EXIF :-
Canon 350D, 105mm Macro
f2.8, 1/250 sec, AP mode (-0.7 ev)
Shallow DOF to allow back ground to go black.


"Lone Thought"
This image shot is actually just the size of the light bulb and then I have used photoshop and Zack Aries technique of seamless white paper to extend the background 400%.

EXIF :-
Canon 350D, 105mm Macro
f2.8, 1/250 sec, AP mode (-0.7 ev)
Again shallow DOF to allow back ground to go black.


"Detailed Thoughts"
As I had the macro out, couldn't resist a close up.

EXIF :-
Canon 350D, 105mm Macro
f11, 1/2 sec, Manual mode
Off Camera flash above bulb at full power, then shutter speed adjusted to ballance the light.

All comments, Critique and abuse welcome.
Any question just shout.

Hope you like,
Cheers,
Richard B.

4 comments:

  1. Reverse thinking
    Pulling the image into negative looks startling and bizarre. You doctored the image into monochrome too, I guess.

    Detailed thoughts
    Personally I prefer this version, with the filament coming up visible. It looks strangely as if the filament is actually sending off sparks. I would have got rid of the white reflections (of the flash?) from the image, because I think they're a distraction from the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    - Reverse thinking.
    Yes this is a B&W.
    Adjustment layer, channel mixer then select the with Monocrome tag. I find this the best conversion, then a tweak in curves to help tonal range and set the black point.

    - Detailed thoughts.
    I wanted to get more detail in the filiment but just couldn't get it. Tired loosing the flash in PP but the image seemed to miss something then so kept in. This is my least favourite of mine this assignement.

    Thanks for the C&C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugger, I was going to do the light bulb shot.....although I had planned to do it in camera. However I don't have my filters with me so couldn't do it anyway so I'll forgive you Mr Bailey ;0)

    Maybe I'll still do it when I get back.

    I love the inverted light bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jsut another thought on the Lone Thought. I would love this shot if the bulb was located on the magic bottom third (hotspot at intersect of vertical and horizontal thirds). As it is at the moment the bulb just looks too small and to isolated and remote......almost not really in the shot.

    ReplyDelete