Monday, July 20, 2009

Light Fantastic

Ok You lot, I am on my Honeymoon and I have still managed to get my homework done so you lot better just get your ar$es in to gear, if you haven't already. Here are my offerings:



"The First Light on a Stormy Morning"
This was taken early one morning while taking a walk near my mums in Nantwich. I loved the dark brooding of the storm, the red light of dawn and the whole reflection in the lake. Say no more.



"Light in the Park"
I don't know why but the light in europe jsut seems nicer, cleaner and more envigorating that that we get in Dubai. And nothing is nice than viewed through the tree's while killing time in a local park in Naples. Mmmmmmm



"Stained Glass"
This took a bit of time to get as I wanted the lead frame in focue but silhoetted and the natural light from outside to just make the stained glass glow without bleaching out the shot. After abotu 20 attempts to get it right 'in camera' I resorted to HDR and used an exposure on the frame combined with one on the bright parts of the glass and one in between. See, not all HDR has to look like a computer screen. It is shots like this that make me realise why in medievil times peasants might be filled will awe when entering a church.



"Light at the End of the Tunnel"
This was taken while passing through the Chirk Tunnel on the Llangollen Canal of a boat following us thorugh. Scary part was I had to trust Imogen to steer.

Of course some electrons have been harmed on the making of the HDR photo but otherwise these are all straight of camear all bar cropping. I am sure if you are interested enough in the EXIF data you will also know how to get it ;0)

4 comments:

  1. Hurrah, only the 21st and three done already, WOW. Come on the rest of you slackers.

    First Light on a Stormy Morning.
    Lovely sky, the reflection is nice, curve of the shore gives a good leading line.
    Maybe a tad more light and detail in the shore line would have been nice ?

    Light in the Park.
    Any light not near the equator in a fecking huge sand pit is great.
    Digitals in general don’t like sun bursts very well so you have done well, however a bit lacking a subject to my mind.

    Stained Glass
    Nice, the color is great, but you should see the ones in Dubai Stained Glass City, the biggest stained glass window in the world ;-), Oh for some taste and history !.
    Sadly in my monitor I can’t see any frame, when I click on the image to see higher res it seems a bit soft. Guess both of these are WWW issues though.

    Light at the end of the Tunnel
    My Favorite shot of the group, another one of your 3:1 aspects. The boat / tunnel / light at the top fills the top third, the light reflection gives a strong vertical symmetrical line. The B&W and crop really lift the photo. Think you have one for your wall with this one.
    As for Imogen’s driving I know what yours is like so I can’t be any worse and the boat has an 8mm solid steel hull !


    p.s. Can’t get the EXIF data on any of them so guess your safe.
    p.p.s. Glad you liked the light bulb ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Light...
    What on earth were you doing up at about 4am? Or not gone home yet...?

    Composition is pleasing. The sunrise colour seems 'watery', but that peculiar yellow is what it really looks like when rain is threatened. Well done for avoiding the temptation to redden it up. I trust the lack of detail in the tree is because this image is the thumbnail version.

    Light in the Park
    Like Richard says, anywhere that's got an oxygen/nitrogen rather than an oxygen/silicon dioxide atmosphere is gonna be cleaner.

    Stained Glass
    These windows are in my experience desperately difficult to get right. But this is parly because I can't get on to consecrated ground.

    ;-)

    I think the top of the window could be burned in a little; it looks darker than the rest. And how about stretching the top to get the vertical mullions not to converge?

    Light at the end of the Tunnel
    I've got lots of these in my back-catalogue, and they're all silver halide. This easily beats any I did. Great composition too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and there's more.

    Stained Glass and Tunnel focus looks a bit soft. Is this because you've shrunk the images?

    I can't see any camera shake on the tunnel shot, even though it was shot at 1/8 second from a moving boat. That's a technique worth learning.

    ReplyDelete