Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Paul's SHOES. I'm a sole man...

As promised, this is a post entirely devoid of babies' bootees.

Nikon D70s
Sigma NiftiFifti
F/9.5 1/2s
ISO250

Shot with available light: a desktop angle lamp to the right and low so as to produce the texture you can see.

What is it? A tyre? Part of the Holocaust memorial in Berlin? No; it's actually the sole of a Birkenstock.

Nikon D70s
Sigma NiftiFifti
F/13 1.5s
ISO250

The same Birkenstock is here, this time with slightly more in frame to give the subject some, but not too much, context.

These images are the best of about 20 shots at various aperture/shutter combinations. Being so close to the subject, shallow DOF creeps in and attempting a shot at F/2.8 produced DOF so narrow as to make the picture too abstract.

See what I mean?
Nikon D70s
Sigma 50mm macro
F/4.2 1/15s
ISO250

2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit of a bokeh freak and I like the last one best.
    Real real shallow DOF, well done to frame the shot that shallow, composition is very strong.
    The side lighting is very well done to add contrast and depth to the subject.

    If I'm being very harsh would say it's lacking a bit of story / point.
    Nice absract but what does it say ?

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a bokeh freak so doesn't float my boat the same as it does for Richard. However I can see the merit in the shot taken and salute your stead hand (particularly the last one) or of course our tripod. However, although the last one is all real and no photoshop it still 'looks' too photoshoppy.

    Shadow and texture are indeed nice but as Richard says, what is the story?

    Only story I can see here is "I own a pair of Birkenstock sandles therefore must be a Tofu Knitting Bunny Hugger" ;0)

    ReplyDelete