Friday, April 9, 2010

Other Shots

While I am in the mood and have the time for uploading I thought I'd share one or two other shots I've taken this month which, while nothing to do with the monthly title, are shots I like and would therefore offer for your comment and (hopefully) enjoyment:

"Red Sky at Night"
F2 1/16 ISO400

I swear there has been no tinkering with the saturation on this one, this is as is.  There have been some other photoshop trickery but not saturation.  It was an amazing sunset colour and when I saw it I was a little "merry" on the way home from a few liquid refreshments.  While waiting for the ferry I thought I must be a little "over refreshed" but took the shot anyway and was chuffed when I downloaded the shot this evening.

"Harbour Reflections"
f2.8 1/320 ISO 80

This one was shot yesterday while coming home on the ferry and I just loved the abstract composition combined with the reflections of two Sydney harbour institutions as the bridge and the ferry.  I could say it would have been better if I had the opera house in there as well but I'm not sure.  Th opera house and the bridge in the same shot can look a little cliche in my mind.

"QVB Ethereal Light"
f5.3 1/160 ISO200

This show was originally intended to be an entry for "small world" and I was going to play and try and do a Mr Cooper Style tilt shift fake but Mr C beat me to it.  As you may be able to see from the blurring I got part way through with a few blur filters but then stopped when Mr C stole the thunder on that one.  The shot was take through my office window so there are multiple reflections and distortions (unavoidable where window doesn't open).  However, when I got fiddling with the saturation, and in some part de-saturation, I couldn't help loving the ethereal quality the light seem to take on, almost as if it was viewed through a dream.  So what started out as one homework has kind of accidently morphed into a completely different shot that I really like for other reasons.

And a final little challenge for the die hard techy-spods, how many of these shots do you reckon are HDRs?  I know the usual answer is all of them because I am shooting them but what do you reckon this time?

3 comments:

  1. - Red Sky at Night
    One for the Wall.
    WOW stunning color, skies like that could almost be a reason to move to Auz ! the burst of white cloud also really sets the image off.
    Nice composition, good horizon position, maybe a little bit of a lean from the white pile but it could also have been hit by a ferry.
    At 1/16 you were pushing the shutter speed, particularly if you were well refreshed.
    A tad heavy handed on the vignetting as well for my taste.
    HDR ? Sky says yes, grime in the whites say no. My guess = NOT HDR.


    - Harbour Reflections
    Very abstract and a bit jumbled, but that is your point and aim so works well.
    The bridge is cracking and if you know what the ferries look like then you can also spot it.
    Your even showing of the clouds in the sky and reflected.
    HDR ? Think the reflections give it away. My guess = YES HDR


    - QVB Ethereal Light
    Real "texture" in this one and a real mix of old and new. All you need is a liver bird on top and you'll be at home.
    However over all a bit too mixed for me though, a tad more separation against the tower block would have been nice.
    And for once glad to see you've not always got a stunning photographic sky.
    Again a bit heavy handed on the vignetting.
    HDR ? Think the texture and the grime in the white sandstone is telling here. My Guess = YES HDR



    Looking at these really I need to up my game !
    Busy teaching at the moment which is sapping my photographic juices.
    Nothing like having to talk your way through shots while shooting tethered so students can see your every pixel. Go manual, chuck in an off camera strobe and start messing with your EV's and flash EV's,, pressure shooting.


    Well done sir,
    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just gorgeous, Mr Beckett! -- Mme Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So come on which ones are HDR and how etc..
    Hopefully my Panoramas have helped me up my game at least a little bit.

    Cheers,
    Richard B.

    ReplyDelete